Starting Monday August 14th, 2023 both the Pavilion and the Yablokoff-Wallace Dining Center will return to using re-usable dishware and take-out will no longer be available.
Convenient to-go options can be found through our Retail operations and food trucks will return to campus starting Wednesday August 23rd, 2023.
To further understand the reasons behind this change, read below:
Transitioning to dishware and silverware instead of compostables in Dining Services offers several significant benefits. Let's explore why this shift can make a positive impact on our campus:
2. Cost Savings: While the upfront investment in dishware and silverware may seem daunting, it can actually save us money in the long run. Compostable items need to be continuously repurchased, leading to ongoing expenses. By switching to reusable dishware and silverware, we eliminate these recurring costs, making it a financially wise decision for our university.
3. Enhanced Dining Experience: Eating from real dishware and using proper silverware can elevate the dining experience for UC students, faculty, and staff. It creates a more sophisticated atmosphere and fosters a sense of community. This change can contribute to a positive campus culture, where meals become a more enjoyable and memorable part of the Bobcat experience.
4. Health and Safety: Dishware and silverware are generally made from high-quality materials that are safe for food consumption. Unlike compostable alternatives, they don't pose any potential health risks or concerns about chemical leaching. This transition ensures that everyone on campus can enjoy their meals without worrying about potential health hazards.
5. Waste Reduction: Transitioning away from compostables means reducing the amount of waste generated on campus. While compostable items are designed to break down quickly, they still contribute to waste streams and require proper disposal. By using dishware and silverware, we eliminate the need for compostable waste management, making your waste management processes simpler and more efficient.
6. Educational Opportunities: Implementing dishware and silverware in UC Merced Dining Services can also serve as an educational opportunity. It allows students to learn about the importance of reducing waste, making sustainable choices, and taking responsibility for their environmental impact. By engaging students in sustainability initiatives, we can foster a sense of environmental consciousness that extends beyond their time on campus.
Transitioning to dishware and silverware at UC Merced is a win-win situation. It benefits the environment, saves money, enhances the dining experience, ensures safety, reduces waste, and provides educational opportunities. By embracing this change, our university can lead by example and inspire others to make more sustainable choices.